Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Is my Dad a trouble?

About 4 weeks back, on a Sunday, we went to Forum mall in Bengaluru to watch the Harry Potter movie. We went to Kalmadi coffee shop before the movie and while ordering the coffee, I saw Srinath (Batni) entering the coffee shop with his family. I was meeting him for the first time after I left Infosys 16 months back. It was good to see him.

After Maggie and I greeted Mr & Mrs Srinath and his son Fire-engine (I used to call him that when he was a kid - now he is all grown up and going to the US for his studies), I wanted to introduce Vishu and Anjali to Srinath.

I told Vishu that Srinath was my boss at Infosys and I worked with him for a long time since 1994. Srinath told Vishu that he had met him when Vishu was a baby. Vishu was seriously thinking about something. I knew a new trouble was brewing in his head.

Finally, breaking his silence he asked Srinath, - 'WAS MY DAD A TROUBLE TO YOU?'.

Me and Maggie felt so embarrassed and didn't know how to react.

But, Srinath was smiling and happy, knowing that finally somebody understands what he went through during all those Nordstrom, Caldor and Japan days with this Mr. Mallampooty. He was ready with a answer - 'Yes, he was the biggest pain I have had'.

For some reason, Vishu smiled and seemed to be happy to hear it! I just held him and messed up his hair, asking him if he was happy to hear it. He said that he was very happy to know that his Daddy is also a trouble and subtly hinting that I have lost the moral righteousness to give him a lecture next time around.

That's my son. All of 9 years old.

No comments:

Post a Comment